Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Memorable Meetings

Although my experiences rubbing elbows with celebrities are existent, they aren't necessarily anything to write home about. Let's see, there was that time I met all five members of N'Sync (which we all know they didn't amount to much - except JT who wasn't exactly JT at the time, so I didn't know the significance when it was happening), another time I waited on Weezy while working at a New Orleans restaurant, the time I flew on the same plane as Richard Simmons from LAX to New Orleans and two shared bar experiences with Eli Manning and Britney Spears on separate occasions. Considering the majority of the famed folks mentioned above are homegrown talent, I am sure I am not the only New Orleanian to have had chance encounters with them; therefore making the experience a little less noteworthy.

But Forrest's Grandma Gottung has a celebrity encounter that in my opinion rivals the best of them. After WWII she was traveling around Europe teaching. During a dining experience in Rome she met the one and only Alfredo di Lelio, the inventor of the infamous dish - Fettuccine Alfredo. Now THAT in my opinion is pretty epic, but then again anything to do with food in my opinion takes the cake (pardon the pun)! She often tells the story and I have had the pleasure of hearing it a few times while dining with her in Italian restaurants. In order to pay homage and as (what I think is) a precious nod to her brush with Foodie Fame, she always orders the dish whatever her mood.

Now I know for certian that this rendition of his dish would have ole' Alfredo rolling over in his grave, but I am an avid Cooking Light recipe doer so I had to give it a try.

Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon
Adapted from Cooking Light January 2010

Total: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

Ingredients
  • 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated fresh fettuccine
  • 2 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
  • 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.

2. While pasta cooks, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally.

Remove bacon from pan using a slotted spoon, reserving drippings. Add garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Be very careful not to burn the garlic. Sprinkle flour over garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly and slightly thick, stirring constantly. Be sure to whisk out all lumps from the flour.

Reduce heat to low. Gradually add cheese,

stirring until cheese melts. Stir in salt and reserved 1/4 cup cooking liquid.

Add hot pasta to pan; toss well to combine. Sprinkle with bacon, parsley, and pepper. Combine and Serve.

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

11 comments:

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

That sounds amazing, I can't believe that's from Cooking Light. If only I had bacon!! BTW, I would have been so excited to meet N'sync, I loved them when I was a teenager.

Taylor said...

Mmm I love fettucine alfredo! And with bacon?! Definitely a must-make!!

Nicole, RD said...

I saw this in CL and now I definitely have to make it...yum!

Amy said...

Coming from Australia, my celebrity sightings have been few and far between so I'm super impressed!

And YUM! This is definitely going on my "make this!!" list!

Victor said...

I was looking for a light version of alfredo. I can't believe niether that it comes from Cooking Light! Looks delicious especially with bacon.

Shelby said...

I have been eyeing this recipe myself....it looks oh so yummy!

MaryBeth said...

I love the stories....Most of all I love this dish just as it sits, I would love to sit at the dinner table to this one for sure.

Elizabeth said...

This looks like something I would love to be eating right about now. Yum.

Tienne said...

I made this for dinner tonight (added cubed cooked chicken) and it was fantastic! Definitely doesn't strike me as something from Cooking Light, but that doesn't matter when it tastes that good!

Unknown said...

Made this tonight for dinner and it was great. I love your step by step pictures... they help this cooking novice a lot! It was a perfect dish for a cold winter night.

Suzy said...

This looks incredible. Hard to believe its light but CL recipes are genious. Thanks for sharing. And you've had way more celebrity brushes than I have. Right now the only thing that comes to mind is the time Patrick Duffy signed autographs at the Mall back when he was on Dallas :-) Does the fact that I'm Facebook friends with Drew Brees count? lol