Monday, April 20, 2009

Recipe Replica

I try not to blog recipes that I found on other food blogs. Why? - well because they already exist somewhere out there in the blogisphere and if someone wants that recipe they can find it elsewhere on the World Wide Web. If you frequent food blogs you will often notice popular recipe trends. There are several things that appear over and over again on thousands of blogs. There have been the run of homemade pretzels and bagels and cake pops galore. And while I enjoy reading all of those blogs and everyone's rendition of the recipe, I don't want to pollute the blogging community with one more perspective of the same recipe. I try really hard to be original with my posts and while there is no way that everything I cook is going to be something that hasn't been done before, I try to steer clear of reposting recipes exactly as they appear on another person's blog or even recipes that have been inspired by another person's blog. I mainly try to post recipes that I find online (Food Network or MyRecipes), in cookbooks or in magazines; not things that I found on another food blog. This doesn't mean however that I don't cook these delicious finds from other blogs. I do all the time, I just try not to post them.

This is my one exception. I found this on a blog several months ago and have made it a few times. It is always a HUGE hit and ever so pretty. When I made it for Easter brunch I couldn't resist. I snapped photos as I assembled and knew that I couldn't keep this one a secret any longer. It makes such an easy breakfast pastry that never fails to please. This recipe in my opinion is worth reposting. I want it to get to as many people as possible and if it means overexposure for this indigo treat then I am willing to take the risk!

Blueberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Pastry
Adapted from My Kitchen Snippets

Ingredients :

6 oz of low fat cream cheese
1 egg - separated
3 tbsp of powder sugar
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberry
1 (11 oz) tube of bread stick dough

Glaze

1/2 cup of powder sugar
2 tbsp of milk

Directions:

1) Preheat over to 350 degree F. In a bowl combined soft cream cheese, powder sugar and egg yolk.
Mix until well combined.

2) Remove breadstick dough from the tube, unroll it and separate the dough and you will have two rectangles. Join the dough up by placing both dough rectangles horizontally on a lightly greased baking sheet. Press the seam together


3) Spread cream cheese mixture onto the center of the dough.

Sprinkle the blueberry on top of the cream cheese. Separate the dough perforations up to the cheese mixture (You might need a scissors for this) Slightly pull and stretch the dough strips.

4) Start from the top and bring and braid dough strip to cover the filling.

Braid until every breadstick strip has been crossed over another.

Make sure to tuck and seal both ends of the loaf

5) Beat the egg white and brush it all over the loaf.

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool the loaf.

6) Combined the powder sugar and milk. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle all over the cool loaf before serving.
Make sure to let the pastry cool before pouring the glaze. I didn't this time I made it and I lost alot of the glaze as it melted off and slid onto the baking sheet.

Below is my simple brunch table setting. I didn't get fancy at all. Casual and laid back was the theme. It was only three of us so I made three dishes and they were all simple and satisfying.


One Year Ago: Coq Au Vin - well worth the work!

16 comments:

Angie said...

That looks awesome!!

MrsSchoon said...

That looks so delicious! Thanks for posting.

Gabriela (Gabi With An Eye) said...

Absolutey beautiful! I'm so glad you shared this recipe and your step by step photographs.

Kerstin said...

I'm glad you reposted this one - it's so pretty and I know it would impress a crowd! And, more importantly, it looks super yummy!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love how elegant this breakfast pastry is - and who can resist blueberries and cream?! I'm sure this would work equally well with various berries and other fruits as they come into season. Thanks for sharing!

The Cooking Photographer said...

I can see why you blog this one! It's beautiful.

Debbie said...

Oh wow...that looks so good and you make it look so simple. I love blueberries and would like to try it with other fruit as well!

Kristen616 said...

This looks amazingly good and I absolutely love the platter you served it on!

Colleen said...

This looks really pretty and delicious!

If I may argue in favor of blogging other blog's recipes: my blog is mainly for relative/friends/co-workers, many of whom do not cook a lot. So I like to find good recipes to share with them. Fellow bloggers may get bored by a post or two, but I like being able to spread around a tasty dish to those who will make it!

teresa said...

I'm so glad you posted this, it looks INCREDIBLE, and so pretty. I'm going to have to try it soon!

MaryBeth said...

OMG...this looks so good and it so easy. What a wonderful breakfast! Please come by my blog and enter my new cookbook giveaway!

Caroline said...

That looks so easy to make but creates such an elegant looking breakfast pastry. I can think of quite a few variations that would work as well...I'm going to see if I can make on with a few lower WW points :>)

And I commend you for being sensitive of and giving credit to another blogger's hard work. That you in no way just copied another's post. You made the recipe yourself, took your own pictures, wrote about it in your own words, that says a lot about you as a good person.

Thanks for sharing it Elizabeth's Edible way!

C

A said...

Oh man, I've been meaning to try (and post) my thoughts on your "Oyster Oops" from a few months back (with credit to you of course) . . .

Been RSSing your blog for a month or two now (a friend gave me the link, not sure how they found it?). This recipe looks really really good . . .

the happy family said...

that looks incredible! i love sneaking fruit into my carnivore hubby. i will totally have to try this!

Jackie @ PhamFatale.com said...

OH I am so going to try this one. It looks luscious. My mouth is watering.

Anonymous said...

I don't think your measurements are correct. I blended 6 oz cream cheese with an egg yolk and powdered sugar and got a thin, runny mess. Not at all what it looks like in the picture.