Sunday, April 5, 2009

Blossoms and Brownies

Yesterday we went to the National Cherry Blossom Festival in DC with some friends of ours. It was our first time we made it to the festival in the three years we have lived here. The first year I was out of town for work and last year we were back in New Orleans getting married (side bar -today is our One Year Wedding Anniversary). I was very excited to see the trees in full bloom and the weather was perfect for the event. We packed a picnic and had lunch under the trees and relaxed on our blankets for a few hours - it was heavenly. Below is my favorite picture from yesterday. It is a great shot of the famous blooms, the Tidal Basin and the Washington Monument. These brownies were the dessert in our picnic basket that brought a smile to everyone's face.
Chocolate-Glazed Brownies
Adapted from Southern Living July 2001

Yield

18 brownies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 12oz bags of semisweet chocolate morsels, divided
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)

Preparation

Cook first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan over high heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts.

Add 2 cups chocolate morsels and vanilla extract,

stirring until mixture is smooth. Let cool 15 minutes.

Add cooled chocolate mixture to flour, baking soda, and salt

stirring until blended; stir in eggs and chopped pecans (if using) until blended.

Spread brownie batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan.

Bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 2 cups chocolate morsels evenly over warm brownies, and let stand 5 minutes to soften.

Spread melting morsels over top to cover brownies. (This works much easier than I had imagined) Cool on a wire rack.

11 comments:

Cupcakes with Nic said...

Those look absolutely delicious!!! Wow!!!! Can't wait to make them!!!

teresa said...

What a pretty picture, I'm going to have to look into that Cherry Blossom festival for next year, looks like a lot of fun! The brownies look like HEAVEN!

Gabriela (Gabi With An Eye) said...

I can't say I've ever had an iced brownie and by the looks of yours, I can tell I've definitely been missing out. Good thing though, otherwise I'd be weighing somewhere around 900 lbs. Happy Anniversary!

Kira said...

Happy Anniversary! Those brownies look to die for!

Madelene Boudreaux said...

I have been following your blog for a few months now. I stumbled across it when googling a recipe for chicken pot pie. I am also from Louisiana... Rayne, which is near Lafayette. My son is a sports chiropractor and is working the iron man in New Orleans this weekend to do stretching etc. for the athletes. Small world!
In May our family does a cookoff, the night of the March of Dimes Walk, in honor of my little grandbaby, Elle, who was born prematurely and lived only a few days. We call the event "ELLE'S KITCHEN"! I will definitely enter the crawfish turnovers in this competition. My family is highly competitive, so I really have to pick a great recipe! WIsh me luck!
I, too, have a blog. It is my journal and journey of my breast cancer experience. I just finished chemo and spent many a day and night in bed, looking up things on the internet. Your blog was a pleasant thing to read to make the time go quickly. You never know how you will touch someone.
thanks,
Madelene Boudreaux
mimisinthepink.blogspot.com

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Looks yummy!

Jessica said...

We went down to the Cherry Blossom Festival yesterday, too. We were there in the morning and it was really, really windy but so much fun. I saw a lot of people having picnics and it looked like a great idea. I bet that the brownies were a perfect addition to lunch on such a gorgeous day.

MaryBeth said...

The brownies look simply amazing and oh so chocolaty.. The blossoms in your picture are gorgeous and Happy Anniversary!!!

Spryte said...

Wow!!! Gooey deliciousness!!!

smr said...

Those look like great treats for the softball team!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.