Monday, July 14, 2008

Mama Mia !


This weekend my girlfriends and I went to see Mama Mia at the National Theatre. Mamma Mia is a stage musical, based on the songs of ABBA, the 70's pop music group. I am a sucker for the performing arts and can't tell you a musical I have seen that I didn't love but this one was fabulous! It was my first time seeing a production at the National Theatre and it was very exciting. The evening was so enjoyable that I decided I shouldn't miss any Broadway productions that come to DC. I enjoy them too much to let them pass me by.

In the meantime I wanted to pay homage to Mama Mia! through dinner. Mama Mia! is set on a fictional Greek Island and I decided I would make a Greek inspired dish to help the memories of the musical live a little longer in my mind.

Greek Orzo and Grilled Shrimp Salad with Mustard-Dill Vinaigrette
Recipe Courtesy Bobby Flay

3/4 pound orzo, cooked al dente
1 large cucumber, seeded, quartered lengthwise, and sliced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus extra for garnish
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil, plus additional for brushing shrimp
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
16 medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined

Combine orzo, cucumber, green onions, and tomatoes in a large bowl.

Place dill, vinegar, and mustard in a blender and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Pour the vinaigrette over the orzo mixture and stir well to combine. Gently fold in the feta cheese.

Heat grill to high. Brush shrimp with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for approximately 2 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Divide orzo salad among 4 take-out containers or plates and top with 4 shrimp. Garnish with additional dill.

This pasta salad was very delicious, easy to make and I have a feeling it will make great leftovers!

8 comments:

Gabriela said...

I adore orzo! Your salad looks positively Divine! Last time I was at the National Theatre, Laura Bush was seated right behind my husband. I was unable to make out any of the SS people either. They must have been well under cover.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This is wonderful! I love the colors and the dressing looks great!

Sarah said...

This sounds wonderful! What a great summer-time meal.

Anonymous said...

I am sure Forrest will fill us in on the leftovers!! Looks yummy!

Woody said...

it is not 10:16 am eastern time. I have already eaten the leftovers i brought for lunch and they were very good.

ooowee cher dat tase goo said...

Ok I know those shrimp puffs were a while back for you guys, but seriously... How many do you think I could toss up and catch in my mouth in under a minute?
-- My guess is however many is on the serving plate.

WOOP! WOOP! WOOP! -- like gum drops.

Dragon said...

I was still singing ABBA songs for weeks after I saw the show. :)

Your greek salad looks amazing!

Woody said...

just finished this off yesterday and it was as good then as the first day.