Monday, July 21, 2008

Lost Heirlooms

I love the idea of an Heirloom. I am very sentimental and something that has been passed down for generations through family members has a certain endearing quality. Knowing that something in your possession once belonged to family members before you that you may not have even known is very special. The care taken to preserve these treasures only adds to the meaning. Unfortunately being born into a family that has lived in New Orleans for several generations I do not have very many heirlooms of my own. It isn't that people in New Orleans aren't sentimental or don't cherish some of the possessions of their ancestors. Despite the efforts made to keep and pass on heirlooms, if you live in New Orleans chances are that every 40 years a huge Hurricane comes and wipes away your goods and the goods of those before you. Depressing, I know - forgive me. But in light of this discouraging phenomenon I have decided that it is my generations job to start over and hope for the best ( or move out of New Orleans ). So until I decide what these special items will be that I pass on to my future generations I have chosen to cook all of my heirlooms for inspiration - I am referring to the tomatoes....

Heirloom Tomato and Avocado Stack
Cooking Light July 2008

Ingredients

Dressing:

1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
Dash of ground red pepper

Salad:
4 medium heirloom tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup very thinly vertically sliced red onion
1 cup diced peeled avocado (about 1 small)
Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

Preparation:

1. To prepare dressing, combine first 9 ingredients in a small food processor or blender; process 30 seconds or until pureed, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Cover and chill.

2. To prepare salad, slice each tomato crosswise into 4 equal slices (about 1/2 inch thick). Place 1 tomato slice on each of 4 salad plates; sprinkle slices evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Top each serving with a few onion pieces and about 1 tablespoon avocado.

Repeat layers 3 times, ending with avocado. Drizzle 2 tablespoons dressing over each serving; sprinkle with black pepper, if desired.

5 comments:

Liz said...

That looks delicious! I especially want to try the dressing!

Gabriela said...

Your heirloom tomato avocado stack looks to die for. I adore heirloom tomatoes. My favorite source for heirloom tomatoes is www.tomatobob.com because of the quality and enormous variety.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love the stacked presentation of this and the colors make it so elegant!

Anonymous said...

mmm, I made this last month (i think) and it was delish! Yours looks so much better though because you used heirloom tomatoes and the different colors really make a difference.

Anonymous said...

This salad looks absolutely delicious. And I did manage to save your grannie's china after the storm. Maybe not a priceless heirloom, but an heirloom none the less.