Thursday, January 24, 2013

Foods I Fancy



I tend to get on food kicks.  My latest obsession is raw oysters.  Forrest and I went on a date to a local oyster bar for my birthday earlier in the year and it was fabulous.  The oysters were perfection and I loved dining right up at the bar and talking with the "Shuckers".  Well I can't stop eating raw oysters since then, I have probably been back 6 times with anyone I can convince to tag along.  Six revisits is a lot considering my birthday was only three weeks ago and I have a two year old which makes family visits near impossible.

These little food crushes aren't new.  I can remember a time in college where I became infatuated with eating seafood gumbo and I had it for every meal for several weeks.  When I like something, I REALLY like it when it comes to food.  My Mom describes it as extreme, and she tends to believe it applies to other parts of my personality as well - but that is irrelevant (maybe).

This recipe came at a time when I was enamored with the idea of a poached or fried egg on everything.  I just can't get enough of the rich runny yolk and the flavor element it adds to a dish.  This meal was awesome and I loved the addition of the andouille sausage to the grits, oh so Southern!

Pigs in Poke
Adapted from Cooking Light November 2012

 

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1 ounce andouille sausage, diced and skin removed
  • 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk 
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • 1/3 cup of shredded Gouda cheese
  • 8 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 4 large eggs 
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley

 

Preparation


1. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.



Stir in 3 cups milk and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Add grits; reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes



or until tender, stirring frequently.



Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cheese.




2. Bring 8 cups water and vinegar to a simmer in a large saucepan.   Crack each egg into a small bowl. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to spin the water into a little cyclone-like formation. Gently slide eggs into water;



cook 3 minutes or until whites are just set and the egg floats to the surface.



Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.

3. Divide grits evenly among 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 poached egg; sprinkle eggs evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and parsley.



 Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe.

3 comments:

Dining Alone said...

I have never had an oyster before but I really must try them!!

Todd said...

Yum! I did a poached egg over pan-roasted potatoes when visiting my parents and it was yummy. Different than a fried egg. So creamy. Love your camera!

Tarsha @ SouthernGirl. CitySwirl said...

Good creamy cheese grits are everything!!