Thursday, March 29, 2012

Magazine Moxie

I rarely fall into the trap of buying magazines at the checkout counter. I subscribe to the ones I know that I love and can trust to deliver solid recipes on a monthly basis. It is such a better deal if you are a subscriber, multiply the newstand price times 12 just one time and you will never purchase at the checkout again! But this week I broke my own rule. I was at Micheal's purchasing supplies for Rex's Easter treats for his classmates and I saw this recipe on the cover of this month's Food Network Magazine. I knew I could probably look the recipe up online, but it was just too pretty to wait that long for gratification. I had to have that pretty picture in my possession so I could read the recipe as soon as I got back into the car. So I threw it on top of my goods and purchased it. And I have no regrets - not only is this recipe aesthetically pleasing, but it is unique and oh so delicious!

Pancetta & Egg Tart
Adapted from the Food Network Magazine

Ingredients

  • All-purpose flour, for dusting
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of a 17-to-18-ounce package), thawed
  • 2 thick slices of pancetta, diced (substitute bacon if desired)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded havarti cheese
  • 4 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
  • 4 large eggs
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Chopped fresh chives, for topping

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 12-inch square, then cut into 4 equal squares. Slightly fold and pinch the edges of each square to form 4 round tart shells. Press down on the folded over dough to prevent the dough from rising out of shape. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets and prick all over with a fork.

Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the pancetta in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer to paper towels to drain, then crumble.

Let the tart shells cool slightly on the baking sheets. If the centers are very puffy, prick with a fork to deflate. Sprinkle evenly with the havarti and parmesan. Make a shallow well in the cheese in the center of each tart

and crack an egg into each;

season with salt and pepper. Top with the pancetta,

then return to the oven and bake until the egg whites are set, 10 to 15 minutes (12 minutes if you want a runny yolk). Top with chives.

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, YUM!!! What a great idea! Thanks!

Woody said...

Best pancetta I have had in a long time

the husband

One Lucky Mama said...

Oh, this does look delicious. I'll have to add it to our brunch recipes folder. I agree, this one just had to be bought!

Krystal said...

love it! Looks like a perfect breakfast to go too

-Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

teresa said...

i remember seeing this a while ago and thinking how good it looked, delicious!

lisa saia, inspired by crumbs said...

This looks amazing!!!!