Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fritter Folly

I found it funny that I came across a fritter recipe in a Cooking Light magazine. I mean fritters are technically deep fried batter coated goodies. I can see how some of the magazine's readers would be upset about this recipe. Upset that is if they are the "I am only reading this magazine to find yet another new salad recipe" type of reader. That my friends, I am not. I read the magazine to find recipes with a lighted approach. My favorite recipes in the magazine are the ones with a somewhat lighter take on the foods I love but feel guilty eating the full fat versions. So when I say I found it funny to find a fritter recipe in Cooking Light, I mean I found it funny in a I couldn't wait to make it type of way.

Corn and Crab Fritters
Adapted from Cooking Light January 2010

Ingredients

Fritters:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels, roasted or grilled
  • 1 (8-ounce) container lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
  • 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
Guacamole:
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded plum tomato
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons minced red onion
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 avocado, peeled and seeded
Preparation

1. To prepare fritters, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper) in a large bowl,

stirring well with a whisk. Combine buttermilk and eggs, stirring well. Add egg mixture and combine.

Add corn, and crab to flour mixture, stirring gently until moist.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 5 batter mounds (about 2 tablespoons each) to pan, pressing each with the back of a spatula sprayed with cooking spray to slightly flatten.

Cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden and thoroughly cooked. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and batter.

3. To prepare guacamole, combine tomato and remaining ingredients in a bowl.

Mash avocado with fork to desired consistency. Serve with fritters

Click Here for My Adapted Printable Recipe

6 comments:

Shelby said...

Awesome photo! Makes me want one right now!

teresa said...

i've been wondering about this one, they look wonderful! and i know what you mean about lightened recipes, that's what i love about cl, i never feel like i'm eating "diet food!"

Krista said...

I need these in my life right now! ; ) They look SO good!

PageRank Check said...

this is my best ever

Jen said...

I am the same way with Cooking Light. These look awesome.

megan said...

the idea of fritters sounds so good right now. i've had great luck with cooking light recipes and this one looks like it's another success