Thursday, December 3, 2009

Bulb Bounty

We probably spend more than average on weekly groceries in comparison to most other married couples with no children. Buying things like molasses, wasabi powder, and sesame oil for specific one time use in recipes can really add up. I do it now because I like to try new ingredients and a variety of unique recipes. I also allow myself to splurge on these luxury items because I know that once we start having children I probably won't be able to afford them and I won't be able to convince the children to eat dishes with crazy ingredients.

But just because I do buy recipe specific ingredients quite often doesn't mean that I don't like a recipe that doesn't require the extra expense. In fact, those are often the best finds. I love when I read a recipe online or in a magazine and after glancing at the ingredient list think, "I have everything I need to make that right now!" It is a great feeling and often times, that is exactly what I do. I stand up off the couch and head to the kitchen armed with my "free" recipe.

This dip was born from the exact situation described above. I spotted it in the December issue of Cooking Light and made it immediately after reading through the ingredients. My husband and his friend took it to a tailgate this weekend and they both really enjoyed the flavor. They ate it with Frito Scoops, which wasn't the pairing I had in mind but they enjoyed it nonetheless and that is really all the matters.

Warm Caramelized Onion Dip
Adapted from Cooking Light December 2009

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 3 tablespoons)

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 cups chopped onion (about 2 large onions)
  • 1/2 cup light sour cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, swirling to coat pan. Add chopped onion; sauté 10 minutes or until golden brown. Reduce heat to low; cook 20 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown, stirring occasionally.

Remove onions from heat. Add sour cream and the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, stirring until blended.

Add the warm onions, mix to incorporate and until cheese melts.

Serve with crostini, crackers, vegetables, or as a sandwich topping.

8 comments:

Kerstin said...

I'm the same way at the grocery store. I also tend to buy ingredients on a whim and then I have figure out what to do with them!

Love this dip - caramelized onions are the best!

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi First time here and loved your space, I loved ur cream cheese pound cake and will give that a try soon.
Do find time to drop by
http://cooking-goodfood.blogspot.com
Pari

Anonymous said...

What a great looking dip! Looks perfect for a party.

teresa said...

that really is the best when you can make something right away without a trip to the grocery store! this looks AWESOME!

gaga said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award on my blog. http://gagainthekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/12/bun.html

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

I'm going to try this one when we have company this weekend as an appetizer. Looks so savory and good! May I have permission to post this on my blog? You can comment on my blog or email me at ashleyterpstra@yahoo.com. Thanks! PS Your new kitchen is beautiful!

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

I put your recipe up on my blog. Thank for allowing me to borrow it! :)

http://ashleyscookingadventures.blogspot.com/2010/08/warm-caramelized-onion-dip.html

Cindy said...

i am making this for new year's eve tonite. it looks delicious. thanks for the recipe.

p.s. i thought i had your recipe bookmarked but i didn't. i searched all over blogland and thankfully found this posted on tastespotting.....

thanks again, elizabeth

hugs, cindy