Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pistachio Penchant

I have been on a bit of a pistachio kick since I received my care package from Oh Nuts. I thought this healthy breakfast muffin sounded interesting. The pistachios added a great crunch to the muffin and the honey served as the perfect extra touch of sweetness.

Honey and Toasted Pistachio Muffins
Adapted from Cooking Light April 2007

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • Cooking spray
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
  • 2 tablespoons honey
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups level with a knife. Combine flours and next 3 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a medium bowl,

and stir well with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, sugar, canola oil, and eggs;

add to flour mixture,

stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.

Sprinkle evenly with pistachios.

Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; cool on a wire rack. Drizzle honey evenly over tops of the muffins.

Serve for breakfast, brunch or snack.

5 comments:

Jo said...

These look great. My pistachio loving daughter would go made on these. I love the drizzle of honey at the end.

Great work!!

Krista said...

I've been on a pistachio kick lately too...eating them straight from the bag. I'm addicted right now! I like the idea of using them on muffins. I bet they do add a nice little crunch.

Gala said...

I looove pistachios, these sounds really good!

Katerina said...

I don't cook with pistachios nearly enough, thanks for the reminder! You know.. in fact I think I have only made savoury things with pistachios (like pesto). I will definitely have to try these.

teresa said...

i love the topping of pistachios and honey, delicious!