Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Man Up!

After this, this and this I figured my husband deserved some "man" food. He is a very adventurous eater and never complains that what I serve is too frou-frou. On almost every dinner occasion he raves about the food and never demands I feed him hot dogs, chili or ribs. He should be rewarded for his willingness and appreciation. Every now and again I need to throw him a bone or something with a bone in it to eat. I saw this recipe and really only made it for Forrest. The truth is that I don't like barbecue. Well that isn't exactly true - I like grilled food, but I just don't like barbecue sauce. But Forrest does and he had waited long enough for a meal where he could eat around the bone, have it stick to his ribs and smear his face with sauce in the name of all men. To my surprise this was amazing! The flavor was off the chain and the chicken was incredibly moist. I even felt a little guilty reveling in what was supposed to be Forrest's specially dedicated meal, but I just couldn't help myself!

Barbecue Chicken with Mustard Glaze
Adapted from Cooking Light July 2009

Yield

4 servings (serving size: 2 chicken thighs)

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon No-Salt salt
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 8 (6-ounce) skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
  • Cooking spray
Preparation

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl.

Combine ketchup and next 3 ingredients (through mustard) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.

2. Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Rub spice mixture evenly over chicken thighs.

Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 12 minutes. Turn chicken over. Brush with half of ketchup mixture; cook 12 minutes.

Turn chicken over. Brush with remaining ketchup mixture; cook 2 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°. Be sure your thermometer does not touch the bone when taking the temp.

13 comments:

Gabriela said...

Garlic, and Sugar, and Mustard - Oh My!

Krista said...

This sounds just perfect. Then again, I'm a girl who likes barbecue AND I've been know to chew the bone. : )Not terribly sophisticated of me, I know. Did he get to wash it all down with a beer?

Woody said...

very good chicken. I cant wait till we get a real outside grill.

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

LOL - my husband is also pretty agreeable about what I cook for him (although he does request tater tots once in a while). I think he would love this, though - looks delicious!

ericka said...

Holy moly! Can't wait to make this chicken!

Anonymous said...

Did you really say the taste was "off the chain"? I must have misread that...

- Ricky

Cookie said...

This marinade looks amazing!

Alejandra Ramos said...

That looks so tasty!

Kerstin said...

I just saved this recipe - it looks so flavorful! We are always looking for more chicken recipes :) Love those perfect grill marks too!

Jo said...

WoW these look wonderful and I am loving the sound of the flavours used. Excellent!!!

teresa said...

Ooh, my husband (and I) would love this too!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That mustard glaze looks fantastic! Yum!!

Laura said...

I made this for a friends bday BBQ and it was a HIT! Thanks for the great recipe, we will be making this again before summer ends.