Friday, January 16, 2009

The Yolks on Me!

One of my favorite things to order when I am dining out for brunch or breakfast is Eggs Benedict. I love, love, love that dish. My mother in law surprised me with an egg poacher for my birthday and I new that Eggs Benedict would be my first dish I made using my new helpful kitchen tool. The egg poacher worked wonderfully. The Hollandaise Sauce on the other hand, left something to be desired. I think Hollandaise Sauce is going on my list of things I rather eat when dining out than ever attempt again in my own kitchen. My hollandaise sauce had a weirdly congealed consistency and then seperated very quickly after serving. Good thing I didn't choose to try this dish out for the first time while entertaining......

Egg Benedict

Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 stick melted butter
Directions

In a stainless steel bowl set over a pot of simmering water, whisk the egg yolks with the lemon juice, cayenne, and water, until pale yellow in color.

Season with salt and pepper. Be careful not to let the bowl touch the water. Remove the bowl from the pot and whisking vigorously, add the butter, 1 teaspoon at a time, until all is incorporated.

Poach eggs using your new handy dandy six egg poacher you got from your mother in law for your birthday!

Place warmed Canadian Bacon on top of two toasted whole wheat English Muffins.

Place poached eggs on top of Canadian Bacon.

Pour Hollendaise Sauce over eggs and serve.

7 comments:

Liz said...

I also LOVE eggs benedict. I made a blender hollandaise sauce a few weeks ago (from allrecipes and posted on my blog) and it was super easy. If you want to try again, I can recommend it.

Anonymous said...

I love eggs benedict too ,but I've never tried to make it myself! I'm bookmarking this recipe to try someday. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Now you KNOW eggs Benedict make me weak in the knees...so you can just stop right there. DH is coveting your egg poacher.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks delicious and what a great recipe to wake up to!

Jess said...

That looks delicious!!!

Spryte said...

This is one of my favorites too!! I've never made it, but my husband makes it for me! It's one of the very few things he makes.

Those look great!!

Lisa said...

Check out the pioneer woman's website for the best hollandaise sauce ever. Yumm I made it for Christmas and it was great!