Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Okie Dokie Artichoky !

I went home to New Orleans last weekend and had an awesome time. I got to Christen my new Godchild Olivia:

And I also spent a ton of time with my niece and nephews. It was such a great trip home. Besides all the quality time I spent with the little ones, my siblings, my parents and my in-laws I managed to do some world class eating. I had fresh fried trout I caught myself and I also got the opportunity to learn how to make one of my mom's classic dishes - Stuffed Artichokes. My mom is not one who cooks from recipes so she dictated the steps as she went along. I am so honored to have this recipe in my arsenal now.

Stuffed Artichokes

Recipe courtesy of my Momma

Cut off stem and trim off a small portion of the top of 4 artichokes and trim the top of each leaf.

Wash each artichoke and spread open in order to stuff.

Turn Upside Down to drain.

Mix together 3 cups of breadcrumbs, 12 0z of Parmesan cheese, 6 oz of Fontina cheese, 6 scallions, 1/2 of an onion, 6 cloves of garlic in a large bowl.

Begin stuffing artichoke at the outside leaves by inserting stuffing filled spoon and pulling back in order to loosen the leave to make room for the stuffing. (If you hear the leaves pop that is a good thing.)

Continue to stuff from the outside-in until your entire artichoke is stuffed.

Place the artichokes tightly packed in a dutch oven on top of a contraption like the one below. (Mom didn't know what it was called and I couldn't find it on the Internet)

Sprinkle the stuffed artichokes with water in order to prevent the olive oil from rolling off.

Drizzle the stuffed artichokes with olive oil.

Squeeze lemon juice on the top of stuffed artichokes and place a lemon slice on top of each artichoke.
Pour about an inch of water in the bottom of the dutch oven and steam stove top on medium heat until leaves fall off easily. Be sure to check during cooking process because water may need to be added.

7 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I have only had artichokes once and it was just steamed so you could pull off the leaves and dip i t into mayo. Your way looks extremely yummy.

Cara said...

wow, these look delicious!

Rachel said...

Oh wow, this looks so good! Ive only ever had them steamed, then pull off each leave and scrape off the flesh on each one. Is it like that still with this? Do you still scrape off the flesh, then also eat up the filling?

This looks heavenly!

Anonymous said...

Positively gourmet! Not only does Mom's recipe sound delicious, the finished product looks sumptuously satisfying. The artichokes turned out beautifully cooked. Needless to say I'll be adding this recipe to my DH's collection.

Elizabeth said...

Rachel,

Yes, the same deal basically. You pull off the leaf, place it between your teeth and scrape the filling and the flesh at the same time. So yummy!

Anonymous said...

Dear Daughter,

I do so know what that dodad is called, it is a steaming rack. I don't think you asked me that question. Your pictures are very pretty. Do you think that because artichokes are so pretty is the reason some women dye their hair artichoke purple?

Brittany said...

wow, I was came across your blog by mere mistake and I am so happy I did! I am from Louisiana, but I had never tasted stuffed artichoke until I dated a guy from River Ridge. I havent had stuffed artichoke since we broke up, and I have been really craving it lately! I am so glad I found a great recipe that I can use!! Thank you!