Well about 3 weeks ago he announced that the new Tuesday release on OnDemand would be True Grit. He was so excited that he would finally see the movie he had patiently after not so patiently waited for for several months. I wanted to do something fun the night he had planned to watch the movie so I decided we would do a campfire breakfast for dinner. It was great fun using the skillet on the grill top and we had a blast cooking up dinner in the backyard pretending we were cowboys.....
Campfire Fried Eggs with Bacon Potato Hash
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living June 2011
- 1 pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes
- 8 ounces thick sliced bacon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- 3 green onions, chopped (green parts only)
Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
Cook bacon in a cast-iron skillet set over a campfire or on a medium-high grill,
- Add potatoes to skillet, lightly smash each using the back of a spoon, and cook until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir green onions into hash.
- Stir crumbled bacon into skillet.
Push hash to one side of skillet.
Working in batches, and adding oil as needed, crack 4 eggs into skillet,