Quinoa-Stuffed Bell Peppers
Adapted from Cooking Light July 1997
- 4 small green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 can of enchilada sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350°.
Cut pepper in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Set aside. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 13 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell peppers, onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in green onions, cilantro, soy sauce, and lime juice.
Stir in 3 tablespoons of enchilada sauce and quinoa.
Spoon 1/2 cup quinoa mixture into each pepper half.
Pour the rest of the can of enchilada sauce into a 9 x 9-inch baking dish; place stuffed peppers in dish.
Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over chiles;
bake, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes or until cheese melts and chiles are thoroughly heated. Spoon enchilada sauce over chiles.