Adapted from Cooking Light October 2004
8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces roast, 1 onion wedge, about 3 carrot pieces, 4 potato halves, and about 1/4 cup gravy)
- 1 (2-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 10 oz package sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 medium onions (about 3/4 pound), quartered
- 1 (16-ounce) package carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 16 small red potatoes (about 2 pounds), halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
1. Combine roast, soy sauce, and garlic in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator at least 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
2. Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat; reserving broth mixture.
3. Remove roast from bag, reserving marinade. Sprinkle roast with pepper and salt, gently pressing pepper and salt into roast. Combine reserved marinade, broth, and tomato paste; stir well, and set aside.
4. Place mushrooms, onion, carrot and potato in a 6-quart electric slow cooker; toss gently. Salt and pepper the vegetables.
5. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add roast,
browing well on all sides. Place roast over vegetables in slow cooker.
Pour tomato paste mixture into pan, scraping to loosen browned bits.
Pour tomato paste mixture over roast and vegetables.
Cover with lid; cook on high-heat setting 1 hour. Reduce to low-heat setting, and cook 8 hours or until roast is tender. Place roast and vegetables on a serving platter; keep warm.
Reserve liquid in slow cooker; increase to high-heat setting.
6. Place flour in a small bowl. Gradually add water, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add flour mixture to liquid in slow cooker.
Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Serve gravy with roast and vegetables.